Floyd MacDonald Memorial Scholarship
In Honor of Floyd MacDonald
Floyd MacDonald was a visionary in landscape design and garden maintenance in Nashville, TN. His special interpretation of garden design came from his talent as a visual artist who loved color. As a graduate of the University of Louisville in fine arts, he combined his love of gardening and plant propagation with his artistic eye. His garden designs emphasized unusual plant species with vibrant colors. Not satisfied to use what the plant nursery market had to offer, Floyd worked in his green houses and with other growers to develop new cultivars of iris and roses. Many of which bare his name or that of his clients.
Sadly he left us early, but his legacy remains as a founding member of the Professional Grounds Management Society (PGMS), the Professional Landscape Association of Nashville Tennessee (PLANT) and the Antiques and Garden Show of Nashville. His own landscape company, Trees Company: Forest a Crowd and his nursery Morning Glory Farms continue to flourish after his passing. Floyd MacDonald continues to inspire our local landscape industry with a “can do” spirit. PLANT maintains the Floyd MacDonald Memorial Scholarship Fund to identify and support new talent in middle Tennessee’s horticulture industry. We award two $500 scholarships.
Applications are due May 1st
The awardees will be announced on June 1st.
To qualify the student must:
- Attend a college or university in Middle Tennessee
- Pursue a degree in horticulture, plant and soil science, landscape design, turf grass, or a closely related field.
- Be a sophomore, junior or senior
- Maintain a GPA 2.8 or above
To apply the student must:
- Fill out the scholarship application form.
- Submit a resume
- Prepare a cover letter that highlights which part of the green industry they intend to enter and why. Describe what they think sets them apart from other scholarship candidates. And finally, discuss what professionalism means to them.
- Provide two references (We prefer that your references are instructors in horticulture at the student’s university or green industry members who have employed the student.)
- Please email applications to Mandi Maloney at: MandiPLANTinfo@gmail.com.
Looking for help with landscape design,
planting or other lawn and landscape services?
You've come to the right place.
Each of these companies support our organization and underwrite our events. Please support these local vendors with your purchases.